IPAD 3 software??

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

IPAD 3 software??

Post by GrizzFlyer »

I'm seriously considering an ipad3 purchase. What geocaching software is available? I'm looking for something that I can use to grab caches on the fly when I find myself somewhere out of the immediate area. Took a look at groundspeak's offering, and the reviews seem to have too many unsatisfied users. Anything else out there that would work OK?

32 GB or 16 GB? I won't be doing a lot of video/photo storing, so maybe 16 GB is OK? 4G or just wifi?

What other neat software are you folks using? I see there are about 200,000 offerings.....
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

IPAD 3 software??

Post by TeamMina »

Don't know how much we can help. We have an iphone4s we use the geocaching app on. We also have the geocaching challenges app, and the wherigo one, but rarely use them.

The gc.com app is really good if you are in a 3-4g/wifi area. Slow when not. Much of our caching info we use from the app's cache page info, but only trust it to get you in the general vicinity and you'll do fine. Keep a regular gps with you when being about 20-30 ft off isn't helping. Or in the woods!
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Re: IPAD 3 software??

Post by allenite »

Not much help on the apple front myself, but you may try contacting tessandfriends. They are from Saline, MI and Talle uses an iPad all the time including caching.
PBZ

Post by PBZ »

I use geosphere on my iPod for paperless caching. Since I do not have a 3g connection caches need to be preloaded before heading out.

Also look into iGCT. Handy for a=1, b=2, c=3... calculations.
mdwalsh19
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by mdwalsh19 »

Grizz You need to talk to Styx. I have an Ipad 1, which is 16 G and only WIFI. I do take it caching with me sometimes. I don't have any extra apps on it for geocaching. I just go to the geocaching.com web page for cache info. I have a some what smart phone, but have trouble with internet in the outlying areas. I use the trimble geocaching app on my phone and it works great. IT costs 30.00.

If I think I am in area where my phone can't get service I save the caches in my phone.

If you go with verizon you won't have the problem I have. I have TMobile and once you get out of city limits it can be hit and miss.

Hope this helps, But Styx uses his ipad in his vehicle and has a couple of nice apps on it. I have seen it in action.
styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

I mainly use iPlunder HD.... it's a little tough to load GPX files but once you get the hang of it it's second nature and works well. GeoBucket will access Groundspeak and load as many caches as you want around your current location without having to create and download a GPX file. There are others as well.

Definitely get the 4G - on my iPad 1 there was no built in GPS unless you sprang for the one with cellular - the 3 is likely the same. You don't have to activate 4g but you must get the one with 4g. In addition if you are out and about you may not always find wifi. Definitely get Verizon. My iPad 1 was AT&T and service was dismal. VRZ is MUCH better.

If you don't load it with music or video the 16 gig is probably fine.

If you can wait for the June 5th meet I'll bring mine and show you each app and how they work. There are some neat navigation apps that will allow you to input the actual coords of a cache and drive you right to it. :D
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

We have an iPad1, 2 and 3. The 1 has ATT and works everywhere except where you are. It has the groundspeak app loaded and works when it has a wireless signal, which isn't too often. It works great with a wifi signal, but that only happens at Panera Bread and there aren't many caches there.
The 2 and 3 are both Verizon and work most places, but not all.
Mrs. Team Maltese has tried a variety of apps and has discussed a few of them with Joel (Styx) at the M&Es, and is currently using the 3, but I'm not certain which app(s).
I (Mr. Team Maltese) have switched from using the 1 to carrying the 2 and have become rather fond of the geocaching app - if I have a signal I can find nearby caches regardless of where I am, and I can view most of the information available on the website plus navigate and zoom with google maps satellite view.
And you can log on the fly if you care to. Sometimes it has accuracy problems and can't match a good handheld GPSr, but oftentimes it is adequate.
As suggested by Styx, the June 5th M&E should be a great opportunity to see some of the available choices. I thought these things were a nuisance until I used one for a few weeks, and then I was surprised at how frantic I was last week in West Virginia when I couldn't pull a signal and felt helpless without it. Had to build and load a pocket query into a handheld GPSr and go "old school" <gasp>
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'll wait until the June 5 meeting and pick some brains.

Was at another meeting (a radio enthusiasts group) last week, and there were three different tablets there. An Asus, a Samsung Galaxy, and an iPad3. One I know I won't get, another isn't too bad, but the iPad3 stood out of the crowd. That Retina display is outstanding. It was loaded with some radio apps that were amazing, and I don't get amazed easily. Then at my poker game Saturday night, one of the guys is a wiz at the iPad, and showed how he got just the standard 16G model with only Wifi, and was able to tether his iPhone to it for 4g access. BUT, good point on the wifi-only model maybe not having a GPS built-in, and thats a must-have for me due to the other radio apps I'm interested in. Guess I have more questions to ask when I call the Apple hot line.

When I decide which model I want, will probably just drive up to Ann Arbor and get it. Have to pay tax even if I order it online from Apple, and it'll give me an excuse to do a couple of AA caches.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member