Metropark Geocache Placement Guidelines

Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

Cachemeister
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Metropark Geocache Placement Guidelines

Post by Cachemeister »

The metroparks now have thier guidelines posted.
Be sure to get your permit - or your cache will be removed!

Geocache Placement Guidelines
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Metropark Geocache Placement Guidelines

Post by cheechgang »

:cry:

Maybe I'll get around to it, maybe.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Only one per customer- looks like I'll have to empty out Side Cut, or find a foster parent.

It Ain't Kentucky Bluegrass
Don't Get SIDEtracked
It's a CUT Above
Siegert Lake View
and the other secret one
Proud to be
Dubbin1

Post by Dubbin1 »

GrizzFlyer wrote:I only have one left in there, and they probably couldn't find it anyway without a real geocachers help. It doesn't meet their guidelines (4 and 9), and that's too bad because 143 logs showed other people liked it. So, if you haven't found this one yet, get it while you can.
Ahh I have been wanting to do that one. I guess I need to get my butt in gear and do some caching up that way.
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

I have to change my container
Cachemeister

Post by Cachemeister »

Annual applications are required for all active caches by April 1st of each year. All caches not approved will be removed within 30 days.
Looks like Good Dog will have to get "Just Ducky" a permit... or they will remove it... :roll:

How does one remove a virtual anyway? :lol:
TheMoopAlong
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by TheMoopAlong »

I volunteer to take (1) cache per park for any cacher with multiple hides per park if you really want to see a cache stay. You can just watchlist it, and do the maintenance as if it were your own. Email me.

P.S. I currently have (0) caches in (0) TMP, so any park applies.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=438212:1w7incev][img:1w7incev]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Profile+Assassin&uid=ea7436bc-f6c6-4690-9f4d-7b994f9c893c&bg=1[/img:1w7incev][/url:1w7incev]
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

We haven't had a chance to hunt many of these caches and I wanted to find out when any actions will be taken or need to be taken so I called the Metroparks. I talked to the responsible party and she will be sending Jason some information soon to share with our group. In short, unless you get a email requiring you to relocate your cache it will be grandfathered until next year, so theres still time to hunt them.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Cachemeister wrote:
Annual applications are required for all active caches by April 1st of each year. All caches not approved will be removed within 30 days.
Looks like Good Dog will have to get "Just Ducky" a permit... or they will remove it... :roll:

How does one remove a virtual anyway? :lol:
Well, they could take the drinking fountain out I suppose.
It looks like we have a little time, but I'm planning. I purposely didn't plant too many in the same park, so I really only have to archive about three. I think.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

TheBearclaws wrote: unless you get a email requiring you to relocate your cache it will be grandfathered until next year
hey, wait a minute- is that some sort of ageism remark?
Proud to be
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Here's a hint : mine are not "at, or near ground level", so they won't make the cut, whenever there is a cut.
Proud to be
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

cheechgang wrote:
TheBearclaws wrote: unless you get a email requiring you to relocate your cache it will be grandfathered until next year
ok, no isms...it will be not be hunted by the cache busters until next year..how's that?
-Eleanor-
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by -Eleanor- »

TheMoopAlong wrote:I volunteer to take (1) cache per park for any cacher with multiple hides per park if you really want to see a cache stay. You can just watchlist it, and do the maintenance as if it were your own. Email me.

P.S. I currently have (0) caches in (0) TMP, so any park applies.
Same goes for me. I don't have any metroparks caches, but I'd be glad to help out.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

cheechgang wrote:Here's a hint : mine are not "at, or near ground level", so they won't make the cut, whenever there is a cut.
Mine are "near" ground level. Usually about 4ft. I use the distance to the sun method of measurement (I forget the term) and 4ft is relatively close to the ground.
Snowbee
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Snowbee »

Hi Everyone,

I work for the Toledo Metroparks so if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them. Just to let you know a little about me I am a "real" geocacher too and I've been geocaching before I became involved with geocaching at work. I decided to become involved to help make sure that everyone was treated fairly for those who didn't understand geocaching.
So I hope I'm not looked at as the enemy. :)

The Metroparks won't be enforcing the one per person one every 100 acre rule this year. If you have one in the parks it can stay, just so it fits the guidelines like the distance it is to a trail (or grassy area where people can walk works too) and has a permit filled out and turned in.

As for being on the ground, I think they just didn't want boxes hanging from the trees, but if you just have a small film container taped up a little ways up, like I've seen, that shouldn't be a problem. We are willing to work with people on these things.

Part of why these regulations are important is because many of our parks fall within the Oak Openings Region (not just Oak Openings Preserve), which The Nature Conservancy lists among the 200 “Last Great Places on Earth.� with at least 180 rare species in all, more than any other region its size in Ohio, follow this link to learn more

http://www.oakopen.org

We really want to work with you all and keep this fun family activity going especially since it has such potential for educational purposes.

If you have a cache in the parks please fill out a permit and you can email it if that is more convenient to geocaching@metroparkstoledo.com

or email me at tammy.snowberger@metroparkstoledo.com

here's a link to the policy

http://www.metroparkstoledo.com/metropa ... bj=explore

Hope to hear from you...Thanks :D

Tammy Snowberger
Toledo Metroparks Naturalist