Metropark Geocache Placement Guidelines

Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

Snowbee
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: Metropark Geocache Placement Guidelines

Post by Snowbee »

GrizzFlyer wrote:I only have one left in there, and they probably couldn't find it anyway without a real geocachers help. It doesn't meet their guidelines (4 and 9), and that's too bad because 143 logs showed other people liked it. So, if you haven't found this one yet, get it while you can.

Just so you know, I actually have found the one you are referring to and it's one of my and my sons favorite ones in the parks, especially since it involves no bushwhacking. Please! do fill out a permit :D . We can work with you on this one for sure!

I hope you do and it stays, some people who came to the Side Cut virtual geocache program couldn't find it and asked about it, they thought it was very good. I gave them a tiny hint (hope you don't mind) :)

Tammy
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Tammy:

Thanks for coming here to post on the forums! I know that you've only met a handful of our members, you will meet several more here, and also I invite you to our Meet and Eat at Schlotzsky's, our event cache held on the first Tuesday of each month.

The word on the street is that cachers are concerned that most policies are quite restrictive and limit "cool hides." Such as, but not limited to, those like that one by GrizzFlyer.

Also, as a steering committee member, I was disappointed that we never did reschedule the meeting we were supposed to have with park staff before the geocaching policy was finalized. It made me feel like my free time I spent at those other 2 meetings was more of a formality.

Some of the language that I was under the impression that would be altered wasn't. I'd have suggested that rule #1 be..."must meet GC.com guidelines". It seems silly to have "Caches can not be buried in the ground" in the guidelines, when that is already prohibited by geocaching.com. Other language in the final policy was also redundant with the GC.com guidelines.

However, those setbacks aside, I think that the policy as written is much less restrictive than people think, and I look forward to hiding some caches in the Metroparks.

Jennifer Miller
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

I have several in Side Cut. I'm out of state until the end of the month, but I'll start working on permits when I get back.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

Snowbee wrote:Hi Everyone,

The Metroparks won't be enforcing the one per person one every 100 acre rule this year. If you have one in the parks it can stay, just so it fits the guidelines like the distance it is to a trail (or grassy area where people can walk works too) and has a permit filled out and turned in.

Tammy Snowberger
Toledo Metroparks Naturalist
How long do we have to conform? Most of mine won't meet the 30ft rule. I will be removing all but one cache in each park (excluding virtuals) to give others the spots.
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

Good Dog---I'll be happy to adopt any of yours.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Well, I mailed in my groveling request to legalize some caches at Sidecut today (you folks in the first row of the peanut gallery just mind yer own beeswax). We'll see what transpires.
Proud to be
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

You are one step ahead of me Cheech. I've thought about it, and I've archived one, so I at least get 1/2 point.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Just visited the Metroparks website and found this:
Geocache Placement Guidelines

Metroparks is not accepting new caches at this time, however if you already have a cache in a park, download and return a completed permit application.

Please direct questions about the Geocache program to: geocaching@metroparkstoledo.com, or contact Tammy Snowberger, Metroparks of the Toledo Area, 5100 W. Central Avenue, Toledo, OH 43615; 419-4074-9701.
Link to the entire page: http://www.metroparkstoledo.com/metropa ... bj=explore
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

No word yet on my requests for approval. That notice about NOT ACCEPTING NEW CACHES must have recently been added. This is not an encouraging situation. I wonder what has precipitated this hardline change????
Proud to be
jsj444
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by jsj444 »

I haven't even sent anything in on my cache yet.
Has anyone heard back or are you waiting around like me?
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=211379:27b4o2g9][img:27b4o2g9]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=The+Wanderer!&uid=7dd6d1fa-c8fd-47ed-adc6-98b11f478263&bg=1[/img:27b4o2g9][/url:27b4o2g9]
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Jason is the liason, we'll let him field this one...
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

It'll have to wait till I return from the west coast.

She's reading the emails I send, as she's responded to at least one. She's just not responded to anything I've sent in yet.

Thats partly my fault - I was VERY busy the 2 weeks leading up to me being out here.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

My 3 requests that were sent snail mail never got to her desk. Resubmitted by email today- did not know you could do that since a signature was requested.
Proud to be
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Via email today from Tammy: The Metroparks are again accepting new cache approval requests as per their published rules (One per customer per park). I think I'll wait for the first big snow to go out to place some new ones with large Moops containers.

I am running low on swag as per This Fiasco
Proud to be
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

cheechgang wrote:I am running low on swag as per This Fiasco
That's not swag, it's a garage sale!