Adopt-A-Highway

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adopt-A-Highway

Post by Hydnckr »

I had an idea a while ago about perhaps adopting a highway section for NWOGEO to clean up, They are 2 mile sections of highway and I think you have to pick up litter twice a year...which could maybe be used as CITO event caches. Also, maybe we could use the signs as a part of a multi cache that the organization could set up....count the number of letters in a word to add to the lat, or put a mints tin at the bottom that contains coordinates to the cache.....something like that.

Anybody think it's a good idea ? :o
Anybody think it's a dumb idea ? 8O

Speak up, my feeling won't be hurt :D
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

Yes, I think that would be a great idea. It would be a good way to promote our group and geocaching.
Jim
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

My vote? Great idea. :D
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Great idea!

Any ideas on what highway would be good?

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hydnckr »

I did a little digging for info and found the website.

Here's the terms and conditions highlights:
Volunteer groups adopt a two mile section or an interchange along a State Route, United States Route or Interstate. Groups who sign up with the program adopt for two years. We ask that they pick up a minimum of four times each year. Participants in Adopt-A-Highway should be volunteers and not paid to pick up litter. Groups can partner with others in adopting but may not pay another group to pick up litter. The Department of Transportation will provide safety training, trash bags, disposable safety vests and two signs at the beginning of the two mile section. The only cost to each group is their time.

So basically, a 2 mile length of highway cleaned up 4 times a year for 2 years is our obligation plus there's a safety meeting to attend before we start.

Seems like a lot but also seems pretty doable.

Also, we need to enter on the application 3 highway sections in order of preference. Now since we don't really know what is available (not sure if we could find out, I guess I'll look into that) I would assume we could put it a few different ways.

The ODOT district that most of us live in covers most of NW Ohio so that's about 6 counties I think, now just to put something on the table I'm gonna suggest we choose either Lucas, Wood, Fulton or Henry counties and then decide whether we want rural highway or big highway or city or county, etc., etc., etc.

So I'll see if I can find out what highways are available....I'd like to get this started in the spring.

Thanks
Last edited by Hydnckr on Tue 2003-12-02, 20:51:46, edited 1 time in total.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I'd be willing, but I can't guarantee that I be able to do it 4 times a year. If we can get enough people to split up the duties that would be doable. I'd guess that as a minimum we would need two people. One for each side of the highway. Somewhere on Rt. 24 sounds good.

I'd hope we could get some new people involved instead of just the usual 6 or so teams.
Draegon
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Draegon »

Just thought I'd give soemthing for you to think about.

I had the same idea and I had thought it would be best to clean up stretches alongside the parks that we used the most.
-Garrik P.
-Draegon
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.okic.org
augies
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by augies »

How about 424 along the river near Napoleon? There are several caches their with lots of traffic. Just my 2 cents worth..
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paperwork turned in

Post by Hydnckr »

I finally got down to BG to the ODOT office to turn in the paperwork (course it was helpful that I wanted to be FTF on Good Dog's Plain as the Nose cache) I turned it in and talked to a guy there that said he'll give me a call in April and set up a meeting to pick a location, so when he calls I'll try to make it a decent time so we can get a couple of us there at least.
So, I'll post again when he calls. :)
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I think the section near GR would be a great location. So on Tuesday go for it.
James
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hydnckr »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Today, Mark Broadway from ODOT stopped over to make everything official re: the Adopt-A-Highway section. Mike/Good Dog came over as well and Mark just ran thru the guidelines (don't get run over, don't pick up rotting animal carcasses 8O , ya know, the general stuff ) gave us some bright orange vests and told us who to call for bags and how we get trash picked up.

Anyway it's official, we are now the adopting group for a 2 mile section of US 24/AnthonyWayne Trail, from the Grand Rapids bridge heading east 2 miles along the Providence Metropark property. :lol:

The signs will be made and posted at both ends of our section, and they will say "NW Ohio Geocachers." Mark said they should be up within 2 months, it all depends on how fast they get made and when he has a crew to put 'em up. :P

We are obligated to pick up trash 4 times a year for the next 2 years, after that we can let it drop or renew. He suggested that we do it once during May, (before the mowing crews start) and then maybe twice in the summer and once in the fall. He also advised that we do our pick ups on Sat or Sun mornings, when there is the least amount of traffic.

Mike had a great idea that we do the pick up and then go to Grand Rapids for breakfast/brunch/lunch since it's so closeby.

So the Steering Committee is gonna discuss a date and then post it as a CITO Event Cache, likely sometime in May.

Don't forget, if you are interested in being on the Steering Committee, all ya gotta do is say "hey, I want to be on the steering committee" Just email me (teamhydnckr@aol.com) and we'll get ya on the list.

:arrow: Let's go pick up litter :D