pokagon state park

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

theherd
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

pokagon state park

Post by theherd »

I am currently in the process of planning my first cache event. It is going to be held at Pokagon State Park in Angola, IN. I was wondering if anyone from Ohio would be interested in attending. I will post my tentative schedule, and any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, let me know if you would be interested in attending.
Thanks,
Amber

Tentative Pokagon Cachers Campout

1st Annual Pokagon Cacher’s Campout

When- October 21st-22nd

Where- Pokagon State Park, Angola, Indiana

As many of you know, this is a first for me, so PLEASE bear with me!
My hope with this event is that it be casual, carefree, and most of all FUN!

Pokagon State Park is a beautiful State Park located in Angola, Indiana. It is just 16 miles south of Coldwater, Michigan off of I-69. (Exit 154) There is a wonderful campground offering 270 sites, both non-electric and modern. All campgrounds in the Park have modern bathroom facilities. The Park offers over 10 miles of hiking trails, a 1.6-mile bike trail, horseback riding, several playgrounds, 2 beaches (though they probably wont be used in October), and a Nature Center that offers many programs that the entire family would enjoy. (You can pick up a schedule at the front gate or at the Nature Center. They are also posted on bulletin boards in each campground.) For those of you who do not prefer to camp, there are cabins, as well as an Inn. This event will also be held during Pokagon’s peak fall color week so be sure to bring your camera.

We will be having a potluck dinner Saturday evening, and there will be electricity in the pavilion we are using. Whether you have it at your site or not is up to you. I would recommend making reservations as soon as possible, as this park can get full quick. I believe if you reserve online, you have to reserve two nights, which would work well for this event as there will be night caching Saturday. For camping reservations you can log on to: http://www.campIN.gov. For more information on the Park itself, you can go to: http://www.IN.gov/DNR. Look for a link to State Parks there.

A few quick notes before I post the schedule:

*With the new Federal Laws on moving firewood, we ask that if you are traveling from Michigan or Northwest Ohio you DO NOT bring your own firewood. There is a camp store at the Park where you can purchase it, or several places off site.

*BRING CHAIRS!!! You will most likely need them for social hour, or just to take a break!

*There will be a dish to pass sign up sheet. Please let us know what you can bring. We are asking that you provide your own drinks for dinner, and your own sack lunch for Saturday.

*We are in the process of planning a few night caches. Because at the time of the event there will be 6 regular caches in the park, we think that micros would be best. (Don’t worry about the little ones; the newest cache is a Kids Swag Only cache.) We will be covering them in reflective tape, so you WILL need a flashlight.

*We are also asking that each group bring some small, new item to be used in a raffle. (Remember, you only need one item per group!) It need not be expensive. Dollar stores can provide very neat things, cheap! We will be placing a few event micros with slips of paper in them. The papers will have a number on them. We will have a drawing at the potluck, and your donated items will be given out then

*We will have a table set up for teams to display their signature items. Please bring one of yours.

*There is a fee to get into the park, in addition to your camping fee:
Non-resident $5.00 per day
Resident $4.00 per day
Annual non-resident $32.00
Annual resident $26.00

The coordinates you will be given will lead you to our campsite. This is for people who will be arriving Friday night. We will be meeting here for social hour starting at 5:00 p.m. until the last person leaves.

*This is an alcohol friendly park, and we ask that if you do choose to drink, you remember that there will be children present. Please do so responsibly.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:

Friday, October 21st

5p.m. -??? Social Hour at our campsite

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 22nd

8:00 am – 12:00 pm Registration
Registration will be held at the CCC Shelter, not far from the campground. Coordinates will be posted later. The CCC Shelter will also serve as base camp for all of Saturday’s activities.

10:00 am - ??? Caching
There will be 6 regular caches as well as one or two micros. The information on these caches will be available at the registration table. You can download the regular caches yourself, however the Pokagon Legacy Cache will be altered a bit to suit this event. For those who cache like the wind and get done early, we will have some printouts of a few caches nearby, if you would like to do those.

12:00 pm – 2 :00 pm Closest to the Pin Contest
Any directions that are needed, as well as the sticks for this contest will be given out upon registration.

4:00 pm – 4:30 pm Geocaching Program
Brad Bumgardner, an Interpretive Naturalist at Pokagon, as well as a member of our team, will be doing an informal presentation on IDNR Geocaching Policies and Permitting, and how it relates to other states.
Location for this is yet to be determined. Either at the Nature Center or at base camp.

6:00 pm – Dusk Potluck Dinner and Social Time
We are asking that each team bring a dish to pass. We also ask that you provide your own drinks.

Dusk Night Caching
Coordinates for night caches will not be given out until dusk. NO EARLY BIRDS!!! Caches will be micro and wrapped in reflective tape. YOU WILL NEED A FLASHLIGHT!!!

We will also be holding a C.I.T.O. competition for the kids. Upon registration, each team will be given a garbage bag. Each child that chooses to participate in this event will be given a small prize for appreciation. Adults are encouraged to participate, however only the little cachers will be receiving prizes.
*the shortest distance between two points is not the one you took there, but the one you took back*