The History of Geocaching

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

The History of Geocaching

Post by Hydnckr »

After attending the Cabela's Confluence, meeting Team 360 and seeing "The Original Can of Beans," I was intrigued about the early beginnings of the geocaching hobby.

Team 360 told me that he had lunch with Dave Ulmer (The Father of Geocaching) and that the rusted steel can that I was looking at was the remains of the first ever geocache trade item. I also learned from him that earlier in 2003 he and other cachers placed a bronze plaque at the site of "Original Stash" the previously abandoned spot where the first cache (a 5 gallon bucket) had been placed.
So, now that I was interested in what the rest of the story was I went to one of the Oregon cache organizations websites and found some links.

Original Stash Tribute Plaque (waypoint GCGV0P)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=gcgv0p
This is the bronze plaque that was placed on Sept. 7, 2003 by a group of cachers (apparently headed up by Team 360) in the exact spot that Dave Ulmer placed the Original Stash on May 3, 2000
This is Geocache Mecca. There is also a link on this page to a picture of the plaque.

Un-Original Stash (waypoint GC92)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... px?wp=gc92
This is a cache placed just 74 feet away from the Original Stash on Oct. 22, 2000 by Makaio because Original Stash had since fallen victim to DOT tree clearing procedures. It is still an active cache and is visited quite often. It is here that you will read the story of the Original Can of Beans that Team 360 now has in his possession.

So if you have some free time it's fun to read the logs of these early caches.

ALSO, having thought that the waypoint of GC92 was a bit odd, I tried entering different waypoints with GC(_ _) (insert 2 digit number here) Of course many, many of them no longer exist and are archived. But from the few I've checked out there are some from other countries that were planted in 2000 and they all have logs that you can read.

Check out our hobby's history :D
TEAM360
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by TEAM360 »

Thanks for the history lesson, HYDNCKR! I have just spent the last few hours going through the archives. Good reading!
It was nice to meet you and all the other cachers up there at the Cabela's Confluence Event. I even managed to get down to Ohio and hit the Secor Prairie View cache that day! Wow, what a hide! That one had me going for a while, too!
Hope to get back up there this summer for a week and do some more caching... :D

Here is a GREAT link for you to explore:
FIRST 100