What's in a name? (Geo-Name)

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheMystic
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: What's in a name?

Post by TheMystic »

One day while gazing into my GLOBE yard ornament (the one beside the two Pink Flamingos) I was approached by a stranger, who asked 'What do you see?". After much thought, I replied " Ya know,I am not really sure, either there was a flaw in its manufacturing, or that Dang neighbor Kid just shot a hole in it with his BB gun.". The Stranger then stated 'Now that is a Mystery". When he was walking away i heard him mutter something like ' Hmmmmmm, now that was rather Mystical, He must be a Mystic'.

Note: The previous explanation on how i came about the name is a Fabrication,and why I chose the name still remains a Mystery to me. :wink:
Flooder
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by Flooder »

"We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into . . . . "
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=346139:36g34h2k][img:36g34h2k]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Does+it+work+now?&uid=91b64d94-7f7f-4f21-b54c-21a22984e3f5&bg=2[/img:36g34h2k][/url:36g34h2k]
Lord_of_ants

Post by Lord_of_ants »

Well, the avatar and my name have little in common with each other. I happen to be very fond of Jedi, and their weapon of choice. So its a home made 32x32 image of a lightsaber swinging ... When you look at it making a "swish crackle" is optional but I do it.

Now as far as my name goes... for the complete story takes us back 1994 when I was a freshman in highschool. As geeky as I am (wait lightsaber's are geeky.. there is a relation afterall.) I never played a game of dungeons and dragons. This was something a few guys wanted to put behind me so they asked me to join them in a game. now i am not one for filling out forms correctly. i tend to edit them, as i did with the character sheet. the form wanted to know if i want to be an elf, human, orc, or something like that ... i made an other box and check it, and wrote in the option ant. being as there was an ant crawling on my sheet at the time. after some complaining and debate between the other players, i was aloud to keep my breed as ant. i mouthed off to one of the other players and he stepped on me about thirty seconds into the game. so went my D&D career.

over the coarse of RPG game and MUDs i have fine tuned the ant character. I do it because i think its funny. people started calling me the ant man. that kinda stuck and i like it. the lord part is a homage back to all the RPG/MUDs that had used up the time Geocaching takes up now. if i am not the lord of ants i am Mac the great ant. on nearly every site i visit.
Jimmy_System
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Jimmy_System »

Hello.
My name came out of playing Risk and other games where you control an army. My army was always called The System (that's another story) and Jimmy System was the leader of the System Youth. Coming up with the back story for your army was better then actually playing the game.
Anyways the name has always stayed with me and I've used it for other IDs, so I used it when I registered on geocaching.
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

I can't play Risk. Ask Mr. BBD if you want the details.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Hello everyone!
We choose our name simply after our dog "Mina".
She comes with us most of the searches we do, though depending on the location she can't always get out the car. :( If I got the avatar working properly, that's her!
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Cool! Of course, we NEVER cache with our dog... ;)
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Funny, I usually cache with somebody else's "dog", how does that work?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
ScouterJoe
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by ScouterJoe »

That's one special dog. Careful where you send it, someone will start a religion
WinChester2.0
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by WinChester2.0 »

All hail Katie!
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=570675:2dc0ae6m][img:2dc0ae6m]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Let's+Go+Geocaching!.&uid=71a83d25-ffb3-4a00-9f7d-d0a80fd6571c&bg=1[/img:2dc0ae6m][/url:2dc0ae6m]
**Watching my wife find geocaches since January 2006**
iamanomad

Post by iamanomad »

I have used this name since back in the BBS days. I wanted just "Nomad" but it was already used, so I added "I AM A" to it. Now for some useless trivia - Back in 1986 I ran the Largest BBS in Northwest Ohio (4 lines and 320 Meg!). So I'm getting old, I'm geeky, and I'm a Trekkie, hence the choice of avatar.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

iamanomad wrote:So I'm getting old, I'm geeky, and I'm a Trekkie, hence the choice of avatar.
Ok, I've studied the avitar. Maybe my eyes are too old, but what is it?
iamanomad

Post by iamanomad »

GoodDog wrote:
iamanomad wrote:So I'm getting old, I'm geeky, and I'm a Trekkie, hence the choice of avatar.
Ok, I've studied the avitar. Maybe my eyes are too old, but what is it?
You may be sorry you asked...

It is a space probe from Star Trek (season 2, episode 37 titled "The Changeling").

Or if that is just too weird, pretend it is a chess piece. :-)
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Change ... S_episode) GD. That might help explain it a bit better.

I had to think about this for a while too when I saw your name, but then I remembered the Star Trek show...

Welcome iamanomad!
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I remember the episode, but didn't recognize the picture.