Look What We Did Last Friday

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Papade
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Look What We Did Last Friday

Post by Papade »

[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd:3aqvovpe][img:3aqvovpe]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd[/img:3aqvovpe][/url:3aqvovpe]
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Very Cool!

Post by BlackBrownDog »

I just read this! Very Cool!
Isotelus
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Isotelus »

Wow , thats really cool. Way to go Papade. :D
Papade
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Papade »

Thanks for all the congrats. It was a fun adventure.

I will reprint my write up of the days events here for anyone who wishes to read it.
-------------------------
Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:21 pm Post subject:
Alright - finally sitting down to recap this past fridays find.

But I have to back up to wednesday. WHich was the day I actually, got to sit down and solve the code and clues.

When I saw the code my first to inclinations was that they were either a letter substitution code, relating to a letter on the markers. Or that the code was a caesars box with the letter equivalent replace with a number. Tried those and they didn't pan out.

So I took a break to prep for T-Givig day and ftf a new cache in NW OH.

That done, I was able to get back to the code. Next thing I tried was finding a word on the markers in the order they were presented and relationship to the numbers in the code. That worked. I was fairly confident that I had the information to find the "medal disk"

However, that was Wednesday night and I had Thanksgiving to get through. So my next available window would have to be Friday.

I spent the time watching to see if anyone else would find it.

As friday was SRRMN's birthday, I asked her if she would want to spend her b-day on a treasure hunt. She said she would.

It was then that I hit her with the caveat. My intentions was to be on site at dawn. So we would have to be out the door by 5:30am for the nearly 2 hour drive from Adrian to Port Huron. She didn't have problem.

Friday 4:15am, we are up and getting ready. Doing showers to wake up.

5:36am - on the road - stop at Tim Hortons in Saline for coffee and McD's for breakfast sandwiches.

8:00amish we are in a park North of the County court house and a mile from the bridge. However, it is the wrong park. We have a large boulder to search east of and this park is roughly 1 mile on it's northern end from the Military Bridge and one mile on it's southern end from the Blue Water Bridges.

We search the area looking in trees, nooks, crankies, everywhere. Because of the time in the morning and the location next to water the air was chilly and we needed a break for warmth and to relook at the words.

As we are warming ourselves in the van. I discover my mistake. In the first line of code the last two digits are a 1 and a 0. I had ignored the 0 as a break in the information. Only using the 1, the clue I found said "Boulder East of this."

When I relooked at the clue, I made the 1 into a 10, by adding the 0 back onto it. Counting 10 words, I found the word "Beers." Or "Boulder, East of Beers."

Neither, SRRMN or myself know the local area. So, SRRMN suggested that "Beers" might be the local brewery, south of our location. So we decided to have a look.

Enroute, we passed a road sign that read, you guessed it, "Beers".

Giving each that look of "that's it", we went around the block and parked just south of the YMCA.

On foot, we discovered the boulder beside a bush. I saw a plastic cup on the west side and was reaching for it, just as SRRMN, who was on the east side of the bush/boulder, "I think I found it."

She picked up a coin in a plastic zip lock bag, and we examined it to discover that it was a NEW PENCE. We were confident that we had found it, so we set off to find the TIMES HERALD office. Which we found, but trying to find a parking lot would access the building.

We got in the building, only to discover the people at the front desk, didn't seem to know what was going on. I won't elaborate on that.

I made contact via email and geocaching dot.com with sistrurus. And we were notified after lunch that the coin was in fact the metal disk. And we sighed a sigh of relief.

Now, with the search done, we did a few caches in that area including PIC TOUR. Which was very fun and a really cool hiding container.

After doing three virtuals, we headed over to Lake Orion to do THE KNOCK LIST. Finished that by 5:00pm and was home by 8:00pm.

All in all, I think SRRMN, had a great birthday adventure.

Thanks to the HERALD for the intriquing hunt.

papade
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd:3aqvovpe][img:3aqvovpe]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd[/img:3aqvovpe][/url:3aqvovpe]