How should NWOGEO proceed in the future?

Topics of interest to NWOGEO as a group.

Moderator: Steering Committee

How should NWOGeo proceed in the future?

Poll ended at Mon 2008-05-19, 02:49:09

Become Non-Profit 501.3(c)
12%
Continue as we are.
15%
Invite new members to SC to try to revive it
65%
Disolve the group
8%

Total votes: 26

Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Feedback from Email by jslagle - Includes Poll

Post by Mighty_Mo »

We tried a reorg last year and it kind of dwindled from lack of interest. It seemed that the consensus was if someone wanted to do something they could set it up. i.e. the Holiday shindig and the Defiance M&E. These took a sizable amount of effort but I don't believe the "Steering Committee" organized them.
gsmom59
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by gsmom59 »

I don't contribute much to the forums, simply because I don't know how many people actually read them. I finally have 500 finds now so I no longer feel like one of the 'newbies'. I was one of the lucky cachers in that the people that introduced me to geocaching also introduced me to this group early on. I've attended most of the meet and greets and other events but still did not really understand the basis of the group. Yes there is a cito service project 4 times a year but I'm not even sure how you let people know you want to help out or what you need to bring. Yes there was a very nice Christmas party and it was fun to see everyone socially. I understand that this event almost died until someone asked for help at the meet and greets. That is how I actually found out about this web site.

I found this thread very interesting as far as who is in charge of this group and what the mission really is. Many good ideas are thrown around at the meet and eat events and in these forums but there doesn't seem to be any follow through due to a lack of structure in this organization. When I started reading this thread, I hoped to find some resolution as to who is charge and what our goals are but it just sorta died off. We were recently approached by Bass Pro shop to present some information on geocaching which some of us did participate in, but I would have thought that the leadership of this group should have been represented there. I have attended events in other areas and found them to be pretty well organized and would love to see some of this spill into the Northwest Ohio group. I would love to see us build a strong organization that can provide help for new cachers and even give more information to generate interest in the sport. I'd like to contribute more to the group and the sport but I am not even sure how to volunteer. It seems there is plenty of good leadership that can be found in the regulars who attend the functions that are put on by the group. Does anyone have any suggestions of how this group could become better organized and offer more information to people new to caching?
scuba
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by scuba »

WOW! What a thread. Didn't know about this forum till I was told to check it out. I don't check on these forums very often because I am either working or out caching or planning my next caching run. I have been caching for over a year now and try to attend all the events I can. I have also helped or offered to help in several of the events. I see lots of people who would help or do help or participate. Look at the people who go to the meet & eats. They are lots of fun and you can learn so much by talking to others or listening to what people are talking about. So I guess i'm nott a newbie but am new to this SC thing. Guess I knew about the committe but not about their meeting or should I say trying to meet. Wish I knew more about what they where trying to do with NWOGEOCACHERS or what there outlook is (or was, since so many have dropped from the SC). Who is all left now? It sure would be nice to talk to them, say at a meet & eat. Maybe they could say a short hello to all of us who have joined in the last year or so. I want to thank those who are part of or have been a part of the SC. If not for them we would not have a NWOGEOCACHERS organization still. I know we can continue because I see so many who want it to. Look at the christmas party for 2008. Several people found out it might not happen and steped up to have one, and what a event it was. Lots of people came to it. I see this group growing with new cachers at every meeet & eat. I hear lots of good suggestions coming from this forum. Lots of interest. I am glad we still have some who have been caching for years that are still involved in caching and come to the meet & eat. I will be looking more at these forums now.
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

As one of the founders of NwoGeo and an SC member for 6years, I can sum up the situation for you Scuba in a few words.(at least my view of it.)

The original SC members burned out, and no one is willing to step into the void.

Most of us did it for a long time because we liked geocaching and felt some community. Life moves on, interests wane, others need to take the lead. While most former SC members are still around they no longer want to be responsible for everything. Opinions vary on what the SC should do and how it is organized, but the above is the basis of the problem.
For two years now others have talked about, and tried to bring some organization back, but the bottom line is that there just isn’t enough interest.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

GoodDog - if there was an interest & people want to re-organize the SC & the organization as a whole, would that be welcome by the current SC members & founding members?
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Well ,the only current SC member is Gizmo, and I think he stated he wanted to retire to do just web stuff. You would have to ask him. I can't speak for the other founders or early SC members. I know Yogi still looks at the forums, I think the BBD's do ocasionally, I don't know about Jason.

I would have no problem with organizing it anyway you want, and I don't think the others would either. I know I didn't like some of the proposals, but hey, that doesn't mean anything because I've opted out of the decision making. (but I still do sound off ocassionaly) If they are still around they can speak up. If they don't I think you could take that as a tacit approval, or don't care.

We have always stated that we aren't NwoGeo. We just started it and got things organized. It definately needs new blood and ideas and leadership.

Some things that I feel certain that the 'others' (I feel like I'm in an episode of 'Lost') would want to remain the same are keep the Meet/Eats, Christmas party and Spring Fling, and of course the web site in some fashion. That's another topic.
Last edited by GoodDog on Tue 2009-07-14, 16:03:24, edited 1 time in total.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

We attempted to have "reorganizational" meetings at OnD'Hunt's office a while ago but they petered out. Perhaps with the renewed enthusiasm offered by some of the newer members we can get the talks going again.
Perhaps George could offer up the meeting space again.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

cheechgang wrote:We attempted to have "reorganizational" meetings at OnD'Hunt's office a while ago but they petered out.
Sorry Cheech, I shouldn't have said no one wanted to step up. I know you and others got started.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Well it seems that Re-Org is back on the stove again. Maybe it will actually work this time.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

I'm hoping that NWOGEO will become re-organized, obviously, and I'm glad GoodDog laid out some information I was missing. I will talk to GizmoGuy when he gets back & see what he thinks about all this. In the meantime, GoodDog, I have started a bank account with the t-shirt profits just to get it out of my house & we will have to decide where to go with that. I think most members of NWOGEO would like the Spring Fling, Christmas Party, CITO's & Meet/Eats stay exactly the same, and I think that would happen. Hopefully more people will chime in with their opinions on this forum, I would love to hear everyone's opinion, not just a few!
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

cheechgang wrote:
Perhaps George could offer up the meeting space again.
It is available for the group. My schedule has gotten a little crazier with five kids at home, but I should me able to make it work. We can fit about 10-12 people around the table.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Don't worry about being there George, I know where you hide the key.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
rnw422

Post by rnw422 »

Set up a time and I will be there with bells on! 8O Well...... maybe not bells but I'll at least wear deodorant! :shakehead:
scuba

Post by scuba »

I will be there also, If it is after 4pm as I have to work. Should be after the Bash though. Pretty busy till then. I would be more than willing to help keep things going, put me down for the christmas party helper again. Nice work with the T'shirts Jen. Came out nice.
RustyNail09

Post by RustyNail09 »

Wed. and thurs. work best for me after MWGB, I was "Invited" in after redesigning the site and am willing to assist as "young blood"