Activities > Geocaching

Event planning for the 2010 Holiday Shindig.

Moderator: Steering Committee

cachergirl27
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Activities > Geocaching

Post by cachergirl27 »

This forum is to be used for those volunteering for this area.
GoodDog

Re: Activities > Geocaching

Post by GoodDog »

I've been placing some on the Towpath Trail between Waterville and Grand Rapids. There are also 3 pretty new ones in Bowling Green parks, and the parks staff :wink: assures me there will be 5 or 6 more in the next couple of days.

I'll also do a few temp caches at the event that can be logged using the multiple "attended" technique.
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

GoodDog wrote:I've been placing some on the Towpath Trail between Waterville and Grand Rapids. There are also 3 pretty new ones in Bowling Green parks, and the parks staff :wink: assures me there will be 5 or 6 more in the next couple of days.

I'll also do a few temp caches at the event that can be logged using the multiple "attended" technique.
The multiple attended technique still shows up as more finds than unique caches. Right?
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Thanks, GoodDog! I was just gonna e-mail you & a couple others to see about getting some temp caches out. Check that one off the list! :)
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I was thinking about putting out a couple permanent caches south of the river. Wier Rapids and the Van something park. Does anyone has any there?
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

There is room at Weir Rapids for a cache. I don't know where the other place is though.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Mighty_Mo wrote:.

The multiple attended technique still shows up as more finds than unique caches. Right?

Uhhhhhhh..... Well it will add to your finds total, but I don't know what it does to the unique caches. I would ass u me
that that total will only go up by one. The event temp caches have been around as long as there have been events. Some areas do it more than others. We don't do it much here, but we could. By using temporary caches, that are not G.C. approved btw, you can hide them anywhere. No Poximity rules.

For those that don't know: Say you have three new TEMPORARY event caches. Christmas 1, Christmas 2, and Rudolph. First you log the actual event. Then you log the event again, but put in the comment box that you found Christmas 1. Log the event again saying you found Rudolp etc.

Usually at the sign in table at the event they hand out a list temp caches. Some events go so far as to put all the temps in GSAK and have the proper cables to upload them to your GRSr. This requires the local equivelant of a Gizmo or Rusty Nail.

Some events have lots of Temp Caches, so you have lots of Attended logs. Some cachers don't like to log temp caches because they don't approve for whatever reason. Others say a find is a find. It's up to the individual cacher. Some events have too many temps that are too close together. Moderation is the key. I plan to put a few around Otsego, I think Yogi might, and I don't know who all. If too many want to do it, we need to set up an email chain telling the others where you put yours. We did that for the Oak Openings event a few years. A number of us each put out caches (these were permanent, but it's the same idea) and Yogi made us a GSAK map so we knew where the other caches were and we didn't step on each others tails.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Very good explanation Good Dog.

As far as logging temporary caches is concerned. I don't but man times I do hunt them. For me it isn't about the logging it's about the hunt and getting outside. Normally the temporary caches will be in a wooded area and are good hunts. As Good Dog says logging then is the individual cachers decision.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I don't understand the point of logging a cache on gc.com if it is not a gc.com cache.
But that is just me.
With that said...I am not opposed to temporary caches, but I won't be logging them as finds. :?
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

I would also be able to create .gpx files for temporary caches using GSAK if anyone needs this done.

Jeff
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

armygreenx wrote:I would also be able to create .gpx files for temporary caches using GSAK if anyone needs this done.

Jeff
Creating a waypoint in GSAK is easy as is creating the GPX. GSAK has the ability to upload to Delorme, Garmin, Lowrance and Magellin but the cables for the various devices is the biggest issue.

With a little planning we could have several people ready to upload temporary caches at the event. People would need to bring their own cables though.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

SO .............. When will the list of temporaries with name and coords be available?
Items needed on the list are
Cache name
Who placed it
Coordinates
Type - Traditional?
Container size - Regular / Small
Hint - if desired

the lists can be emailed to someone (I will take the lead if desired) to be put into a GSAK database. Then just before the event the GSAK database can be emailed to those that are going to load the GPSRs.

Printed copies of the list also need to be available.
CrewHugSparks
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by CrewHugSparks »

That would be awesome to have the file emailed!
scuba
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by scuba »

I also feel that temp caches are just that. Temp, a way of getting out and enjoying the sport, not a way to build up the numbers. Only log the event not temp caches. That is just me though, to each his/her own.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

CrewHugSparks wrote:That would be awesome to have the file emailed!
the emailing would be between the people doing the GSAK upload at the event. And the geocachers should bring their USB cables to be sure they can connect their GPSr to the PC running GSAK.

All this is dependent on getting the info for the temp caches with sufficient lead time to get the GSAK database operational.