Possible Technology Q&A Event?

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

bravo872
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Possible Technology Q&A Event?

Post by bravo872 »

At the last Meet & Greet we talked to GizmoGuy and several others about the possibility of an event that would focus on the sharing of information on some of the geocaching technology issues.

We have had a good response and I promised to place a post on the NWOGEO forums so the discussion could continue.

Who could attend and answer questions?

What subjects would we wish to cover?

When could we do it?

Where would be a good place?
bravo872
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Re: Possible Technology Q&A Event?

Post by bravo872 »

This topic seemed to fit in about three different forums so I just posted it here and figured a moderator would move it as needed. ["Event" appended to forum title, and moved to Events Forum by moderator.]

What subjects would we wish to cover?
I'm pretty new and would like to talk to, and see how some cachers use various technology like...

GSAK
HTML
PocketPCs/PDAs/SmartPhones
STATs
Field Notes
Colorados/Oregons

When could we do it?
Alot going on this year and the schedule is pretty full already. I guess a weekday afternoon would be best, the second week in June doesn't have an event yet but other than that not much room until October.

Where would be a good place?
I have no ideas other than the same areas that are used for the meet and eats. Would Bowling Green be a better spot than Toledo?

Who could attend and answer questions?

[some items added by gg]
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Possible Technology Q&A?

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I just started using GSAK this year. I get 500 caches centered in 3 different areas. (Monclova / south of BG / Hillsdale)I will probably extend that to 5 different areas (add Bryan and Fremont). That will provide about 2500 or so caches to manage in GSAK.

I then will determine where I am going to cache at. Then will use GSAK center point to get all within a 5/10/15/20/25/30 (pick one) radius of some center point. I generate a GPX file, then load it into a map program I have (Topo 7), look at the caches and decide if the GPX file is what I want and plan the trip. Once I am happy with the GPX file from GSAK, I send it to my GPS (DeLorme NP-40 in my case).

When I find or DNF the cache I record a field note as such and maybe some additional text to remind me what I really want to say in the log. Then on to the next cache. Upon returning home I upload my field notes to GC.com and delete them from my GPS. The field notes are dated so I don't need to log them right away, even though I usually do. When I log them I add any additional verbiage.

I'm just getting into HTML for geocaching. The page I just sent to Keystone was prepared in MS Front Page 2002, I use it for my web site, and copy/paste the HTML into the Long Description. Images are handled separately though.

Stats. - I use Cache Stats, it has the ability to export the data to GC. This is a copy / paste scenario.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Who - I would of course attend and answer questions.

What - Although I still would like to do a more comprehensive Geocache-HTML Event in the future, I would be happy answer HTML questions. Believe it on not I am primarily NOT a paperless cacher. However I have started to use CacheBerry for BlackBerry and could offer a bit of insight there. [Notice my Geo-HTML plug above. :)]

Where - Our friends at Bass Pro may help here. There are also meeting rooms available at the Lucas County Public Library which all have WiFi. They may need plenty of notice.

When - Yeah... this will be interesting.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon 2009-09-28, 03:56:31, edited 1 time in total.
sunrenay
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by sunrenay »

Count me in! Anyone else a Mac user?
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I Love Mac & Cheese. (Lots of cheese)
PBZ
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by PBZ »

We would be interested in attending this event. We are Mac users and haven't done much with paperless caching yet. I had just started playing around with GSAK and then replaced my Windows laptop with a MacBook. I downloaded MacCaching and it looks like a powerful tool but haven't had much of a chance to use/learn it yet. I think you'll find a strong interest in a geotechnology event.
sunrenay
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by sunrenay »

Mighty_Mo wrote:I Love Mac & Cheese. (Lots of cheese)
I've never noticed any cheese in your posts.

I'm also very interested in being paperless.
Mac-E-Cheez
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Mac-E-Cheez »

I Love Mac-E-Cheez too!
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Ok it's 2 : 1 we win! :clap:
cachergirl27
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by cachergirl27 »

Mac & Cheese Rocks! And I am paperless! I can probably answer Colorado questions!
linzypooh49

Post by linzypooh49 »

Here is my hat, where is the ring? Translation: I am interested in some tech talk. Especially interested in figuring out Colorado. I hear it is beautiful this time of year. :lol:
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Colorado is beautiful ANY time of the year. I love the mountains.

If someone has a PN-20 or PN-40, I may be able to answer some questions on them.
TeamAldridge
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by TeamAldridge »

Well I may be interested in a Q&A, I can probably answer quite a few questions from the Mac users. I was just over at the Toledo Public Library on Wednesday for a technology seminar, and I must say that they have a very nice facility.
scuba

Post by scuba »

Count me in. Always looking for more info.