Re: How to upload a jpg to a post???

The place to learn how to do things on NWOGEO.org and on GC.com

Moderator: Steering Committee

GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

GrizzFlyer wrote:What's the secret? Have tried it a few times, it sorta worked once a couple of days ago. This evening I "attached" a jpg file while composing a post, it never showed up. It seems like it should work, but it doesn't. I deleted the post since it was confusing without the pic. WHAT am I doing wrong???
I'm sorry to say sir, that you have contracted "gooddogitis".
8O
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

This one I have saved elsewhere on the web. Used the insert image button

But I just tried "add an attachment" to upload one from my computer and it didn't work. Both methods have worked before. Maybe it isn't Grizz's fault this time...
Last edited by cheechgang on Thu 2009-02-12, 14:08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Now it worked the second time with a photo from my computer??? I did it the same exact way both times. Something odd.
Proud to be
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

No wonder you been married so long.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Yogi57 wrote:No wonder you been married so long.
Yep, she never seems to get older. Now the guy on the right is a different story, this photo is from my visit to Disneyworld when I was 10. Image

Anyway, my point was that I uploaded once from my computer and it wouldn't work, but a few minutes later it did. Don't know what the story is.
Proud to be
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

cheechgang wrote:Anyway, my point was that I uploaded once from my computer and it wouldn't work, but a few minutes later it did. Don't know what the story is.
Ought oh, looks like the gooddogitis is spreading. Makes me feel better though.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Any explanation on this one? Maybe GG would be kind enough to add another post to the "How To?" thread.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Re: How to upload or display a jpg to a post???

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Cheech had the answer two years ago. He uploaded a pic to a photo hosting site and then used the "Insert Image" button.

There are actually TWO buttons to insert images. The first "Insert Image" [img width=30 height=25]http://nwogeo.org/images/bbcode/img.gif[/img] button inserts the image in it's original size, while the second, called the "Insert Sized Image" [img width=25 height=25]http://nwogeo.org/images/bbcode/img_sized.gif[/img] button allows the image to be resized. Using these buttons should be the preferred method. Other edit buttons such as the Left, Center, and Right alignments can also be applied to the images to help with their presentation.

Images can also be "attached" to the post, however they can not be resized, they consume space and bandwidth on our server, there is a 256k file size cap to the upload, not to mention that they are not displayed in a very presentable manner.

Notice that the "attached" example that Cheech uploaded with him and his gf above, is so large that it causes the forum to need a horizontal scrolling line in the browser.

Here is the same pic [img width=58 height=43]http://nwogeo.org/uploads/forums/dcp02772.jpg[/img] posted at 5% of the orginal size using the "Image Sized" button.

A third and even less desired method would be to add the image to our photo gallery and then link to it with an image button. This method should only be used when the image is of sufficient interest to actually warrant being part of the gallery.

There are plenty of image and video hosting sites out there. The best known of course are PhotoBucket and YouTube.

As far as not being able to upload an image as an attachment, I can only blame that glitch on GoodDogitis. :)

I'll see about adding a "How To" post to the new "How To" forum a bit later! Done!
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Tue 2009-09-22, 21:53:21, edited 19 times in total.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Thanks GG for the great explanation. I just experimented and a photo must be smaller than 256k to be "attached" using the Add An Attachment function at the bottom.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

TheBearclaws wrote:Thanks GG for the great explanation. I just experimented and a photo must be smaller than 256k to be "attached" using the Add An Attachment function at the bottom.
You're welcome.

Good point. I'll add that to my post as another good reason to not use it. (And I won't mention that this 256k limit can actually be adjusted in system administration.)