I wonder why they archived that cache?

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

I wonder why they archived that cache?

Post by OnDHunt »

Ever come across a cache that was archived for an interesting reason. Maybe if was funny, maybe scary or maybe just different. I thought it would be fun to start a thread about these caches. So if you come across one post it here so everyone can see it.

I will start it of with a cache of my own, GC18EYH, Bridge Is Out. The cache was on a bridge that was no longer being used. Not only is the cache gone, but so it the bridge.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: I wonder why they archived that cache?

Post by cheechgang »

I have had three caches which did not come up missing, but the locations they were in somehow came up missing. Nothing as dramatic as the missing bridge, however.

The entire structure was removed

Woods removed for no good reason

Structure removed for no good reason
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

I don't know the GC# but I heard that a cache was caught in a flood when a dam broke in Wisconsin. Since it was a lock n lock it floated and was found on a Lake Michigan beach (opposite side of Lake Michigan) by a geocacher. This was the flood that we all saw on the news where the condo crumbled into the current and washed away. Kinda sounds like a caching urban legend but who knows?
linzypooh49
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by linzypooh49 »

I didn't have any luck finding that bridge cache but at least I am glad that I found the bridge. Would have been crazy if the whole bridge wasn't there when I arrived.
GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Look at the right photo. Isn't that the cache laying on the ground to the right of the sign??? :roll:
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

McCombRef

Post by McCombRef »

I had a cache hidden in the ivy on the side of a tree along a country road near Hoytville. How it disappeared is beyond me.

I figured since it was such a lame cache the last to find put it out of our misery.
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

I had one that was a bolt on the back of a guardrail. They took the guardrail down and did not have the good manners to leave the container. I liked that container.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

"The Bearclaws" and TeamMina had the duty of closing out the "Tam-O-Shanter GetAWay" GCQ5X6 as urban development decided the little wooded area that nicely held the cache for 3 years needed an overhaul of pavement and yellow lines. The container itself was itself descimated by the forest removal equipment. Only including a picture of the makeshift memorial to the cache and the woods. As the pics of the cache remains may be too gruesome for other innocent lock-n-locks to see.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

I had a cache called SQ Clevenger cemetery by Kalida. There was a couple trees inside the cemetery and a row of pines along the road. I got a call from my buddy saying he couldn't find it and there was nothing there. When I arrived I saw what had happened. Someone(s) came along and cut down every LAST tree for some reason........wait that LAST belongs in another post here.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
J-Kass

Post by J-Kass »

I had an adopted cache in which the tree was cut down.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=883158:1l8y2pjg][img:1l8y2pjg]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Even+a+donkey+can+do+it!&uid=98dbcea6-7544-4ab2-95f7-0b8942140f34&bg=2[/img:1l8y2pjg][/url:1l8y2pjg]
schwnman99

Post by schwnman99 »

After a call from a local detective, he was pleasant and offered to put it back, but we decided it was best to just archive it.
GCZXRC
BarnacleBear

Post by BarnacleBear »

That hat DEFINES ugly!