Wanted: SC Nominations

Topics of interest to NWOGEO as a group.

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Re: Wanted: SC Nominations

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

jslagle wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Just in case anyone is not aware, there is a "Steering Committee List" function in the menu to the left under the "Information" heading.

I have updated it, post dated to when I resigned from the SC back in February.
You're not allowed to step down until we have a new group picked. Then you can decide if you want to continue :P

Jason
But I had already stepped down from the SC way back in February, not just now.

So how do I un-resign myself, and do I need to be nominated? :?
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Tue 2009-11-10, 16:15:33, edited 2 times in total.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

Can we do one of those spiffy charts showing who has been nominated and another column showing whether they have confirmed their interest in accepting the nomination?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

cheechgang wrote:Can we do one of those spiffy charts showing who has been nominated and another column showing whether they have confirmed their interest in accepting the nomination?
I 2nd that.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

dougohio2 wrote:. It was said that it should go on experience and number of caches found, time caching and such. I disagree with that as again you are discouraging new blood into the group. The Mrs half of this team!
I don't read the meeting notes this way. The summary said:

Qualifications:
There were several ideas on who would qualify to serve on the SC. The amount of time one has been caching or involved in NWOGEO is not a good indicator of how well they would serve on the SC. Nor is the amount of caches found.

I wasn't at the meeting, but have talked to interested parties and I think they have done an excellent job in trying to be inclusive.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

GoodDog wrote:
dougohio2 wrote:. It was said that it should go on experience and number of caches found, time caching and such. I disagree with that as again you are discouraging new blood into the group. The Mrs half of this team!
I don't read the meeting notes this way. The summary said:

Qualifications:
There were several ideas on who would qualify to serve on the SC. The amount of time one has been caching or involved in NWOGEO is not a good indicator of how well they would serve on the SC. Nor is the amount of caches found.

I wasn't at the meeting, but have talked to interested parties and I think they have done an excellent job in trying to be inclusive.
I agree with Mike.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

So, after a couple of days of thought, my nominations are: Sunrenay (Findlay area), Geo-Flint (Defiance), GizmoGuy411 (yes, he agreed to be nominated), Scuba, Bearclaws & RustyNail09.
bravo872
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by bravo872 »

Bearclaws -
It was a long time before I realized that Bearclaws wasn't on the Steering Committee so I want to second his nomination.

GizmoGuy411
Not sure we would still have a nwogeo with out him and since his steering committee status is a grey area I want to add his name to the list of nominees just in case.

JHenkel
Without her hard work we would probably not be making these nominations.

I have no doubt the two current steering committe members will continue to do a great job.
Jslagle and BlackBrownDog

CheechGang and Ms DougOhio2
Its my understanding that the new steering committee we be seven members and I know Cheech and Holly would do a great job.
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by SuchaNana »

RustyNail09 wrote:We all need to remember, that the first SC will have alot of bumps in the road ahead with everyone wanting to put their 2 cents in on how NWOGEO should proceed. Having a good mix of "Elder/previous" members and "new blood" members is what is going to help NWOGEO proceed to the level we all hope for!
NEW BLOOD chiming in...I liked the energy in the re-org room and I do TRUST that those who make up the new SC will actually DO more than listen and give lip service to the needs of New Bloods ( I like that moniker better than newbies!!)...

haven't met rustynail09 yet but methinks he did hit the nail...count on my gentle and sometimes not-so-subtle retorts to New Blood overlooked suggestions... getting to know y'all is still SUCHALOTTAFUN... :lol:

(just found the BBC code page...thanks to whoever made that cheat sheet...my gosh this takes forever...)
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
gsmom59
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by gsmom59 »

I want to thank Jen again for posting minutes to the meeting for those of us who have the interest but couldn't attend. Just my two cents for the minutes since I couldn't attend...I think a 7 person SC is a great idea with a 1 year term. The SC should definitely NOT have to do all of the work for this group and should be looked to for guidance more than anything else. That being said, when I think of the qualifications that I would like to see in the SC, some of the most important would be the desire to promote geocaching and welcome new cachers...basically help them get started in this wonderful little addicting habit we all have! All of the nominations I have seen here would make deserving members of the committee.

Here is my two cents on who I would like to see as nominations and why. I am glad to see that Jason and Giz are willing to continue serving and would give some continuity to the new steering committee. I always thought that Bearclaws was sort of already a leader of the group but maybe that is just because when I was new, he was out there in front as the spokesperson...a good quality that I think makes him a good nominee as well. It is much harder to narrow down the other choices but I would nominate Cheech because I feel that most of the group look up to him for his knowledge and skills in all areas of geocaching and Jen (JHenkel) for her organizational skills in getting this rolling again as well as all her other hard work to promote caching. My last choice is a name I have not seen submitted...PBZ for their enthusiasm and welcoming attitude to new cachers.

...Becky
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

Way back on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:37 am I was nominated for the steering committee. Should the group feel that I would be a valuable member, I would gladly accept.
I am an amazed cacher!
GeoFlint13
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by GeoFlint13 »

I want to say thank you for the nominations. I love this sport and organization and it means a great deal to me that there are others that think I should be a part of the SC. If I was single, I would have accepted the nomination right away. But being that I'm not, I had to run everything by the other half. She not jumping up and down with excitement of course, because she's not into or loves (or even likes for that matter) geocaching like I do, but I do have the go ahead. So, all said, I accept the nomination and will throw my name into the hat to be a part of the SC.

Now, to me there are many individuals who would be good for this group. Of course JSlagle, BBD and GG because they have been here from the very beginning and know everything it takes to run and take care this site. So if we are going for a total of 7, that leaves 4 openings. I'm going to mentioned several because like I said, there are many who are deserving.

JHenkel: She is enthusiastic, dedicated and passionate about geocacing and NWOGEO and is a get-things-done type of person.

CheechGang: He is very experienced and has an unexhaustable amount of knowledge on many levels (or at least he makes it look that way. LOL!)

Mighty Mo: He's a level-headed guy that has gained a lot of caching experience in a short amount of time and he's just a great guy.

Yogi57: He's one of the first cachers in NWO and is a great teacher.

RustyNail: A younger guy that like me, doesn't have a lot of caches under his belt, but he is a brilliant guy and goes out of his way to help others and this organization.

OnDHunt: Come on, who doesn't like George?

DougOhio: First year cachers that are super nice and are very enthusiastic about everything geo.

Bearclaws: They have years of experience and leadership.

TeamMina: They speak their minds and put a great amount of thought into whatever the issue.

I agree with GSMOM59 that a 1 year term would be best. That way someone can step down if they no longer wish to be on the SC and other or new members can be nominated and get a chance to be on the SC. My suggestion is that maybe the election of the SC members could take place at the Holiday Shindig and the terms begin on Jan. 1. To be fair, I think for the election that only one ballot should be given to each geo-id.

Thanks again for the nominations.
Eric
Last edited by GeoFlint13 on Thu 2009-11-12, 03:12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck & Happy Hunting!
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

GeoFlint13 wrote: CheechGang: He is very experienced and has an unexhaustable amount of knowledge on many levels (or at least he makes it look that way. LOL!)
It is amazing what can be done with mirrors! :lol:

Sorry, I could not pass up this opportunity!
I am an amazed cacher!
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

Okay, Now for my serious comments......

After seeing the posts about the qualifications for being a member of the steering committee, I have been giving it some thought. I do agree with Good Dog and the discussion at the first meeting. Finds or time involved are not necessarily good indicators of who should be on the steering committee.

One of the qualifications we should be looking for is that they make a good role model. Whether they like it or not, members of the steering committee will be looked up to by new cachers. The steering committee members will need to lead by example. I think all would agree that this is a quality found in each of the current and former members of the steering committee.
I am an amazed cacher!
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

I guess since I haven't really said it formally, I am glad to be nominated for the SC & will be happy to throw in with everyone else!
RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by RustyNail09 »

As with Jhenkel, with as many nominations that I have received, I would also be aptly proud to serve on the SC if appointed!