Hydnckr Geocaches Will Be Archived

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hydnckr Geocaches Will Be Archived

Post by Hydnckr »

Tonight I placed a note on all but 2 of my caches. The 2 that didn't get the note are "Smithies Cache" (which is 2 1/2 hours away from here) and "Dasher" (because it's a part of the BBD series at Oak Openings MP.) Just wanted to make sure everyone finds out about this ahead of time and isn't surprised at the end of the month.

Here's the note:

THIS CACHE WILL BE ARCHIVED ON 12 / 31 / 2009

Hello geocachers!

This note is to make you aware I am archiving almost all my caches on December 31st. No I’m not suddenly anti-geocaching and no I’m not mad at anyone. I’ve been a geocacher since June 2003 but in the last couple years have found less than a handful of caches each year. I’ve finally faced the fact that I’m not an active cacher anymore and despite my good intentions I’m not good at maintaining some of my caches either, so it’s time to let them drift into geo-history.

Why not let them be adopted out you ask? There’s a good reason. (good in my mind at least, perhaps not satisfactory to all cachers reading this note) The main reason I’m not adopting out my geocaches is because many of them have been in existence for several years and have been found by all the local cachers and forgotten about by the veteran cachers. If I adopt them out to someone else the local caching landscape will not change and they won’t be new to anyone. I’d much rather archive them, thereby creating a blank canvas. Many new cachers have come along since I placed these caches but haven’t had a chance to make their mark in cache placement because all the “good spots� had already been taken. AND, should I become an active cacher in the future, I’d certainly like to visit some of these spots again and see what others can come up with for a caching adventure.

Upon online archival, all the spots will be up for grabs. I WILL be making rounds in the first part of January to retrieve all containers and make sure the hiding spots are cleaned up. Any travel bugs or geocoins will be retrieved and I will make sure everything is documented and moved to other local caches.

So if you haven’t found this cache yet, you have less than a month to do so. Let’s see some great new caches pop up in the spaces I leave vacant. Thanks!
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Hydnckr Geocaches Will Be Archived

Post by yogi57 »

So Sad
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

Thankfully I have found all but 7 of the active caches. 6 I may do in the very near future. Thanks for placing the caches and hope to see your name on a few logs in the future.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

Thanks Hydnckr for placing all those caches in the past. One of yours was my very first. You will always be the "Grand Poobah" in my eyes.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Thanks for the "heads up" I have found all but the one in your home town and see it isn't on the disable list.

It has been fun cking yoyr hyds.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

It was nice working with you Craig :D
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Thanks for all of them, I really enjoyed the ones at the quarry, and Stuck in the Middle. Hopefully, I get a chance to find some more in those cool locations.
TheMetalSteve
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by TheMetalSteve »

GCHVBM was my 1st cache find ever... thanks for some clever hides sir!

I am going to make it a point to seek some of the rest out that I haven't found yet... Buttonwood and N'Awlins are two I really want to get the smiley on!
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

although we've not met yet and i've only done like 9 of your caches, they have been creative and somewhat challenging...enjoyable...loved N'awlins... thanks and happy caching in the future...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...