Post Bash Cache Check-Ups

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post Bash Cache Check-Ups

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

If anyone has any caches that were hit hard at the bash, it would probably benefit you to check their current placement.

There appears to be an epidemic of caches not being replaced in their proper location.

On D'Hunt alerted me on a couple of Oldfield caches that were just laying out in the open, and I checked on a few others today. Some had been moved.

I have no idea why someone would not take the time to replace a cache as they found it. :roll:
RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: Post Bash Cache Check-Ups

Post by RustyNail09 »

Probably because it is like a slaughter house douring some of the runs, just person after person, and where it was hidden could have changed in the communications. Or it could not have been communicated at all.

Last year during the poker run was like that, there was no hunting, just walk up, pass the log/container, and tell the next where it was.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

So far I have over 50 hits total for all my caches except Un"Guarded" (for some strange reason).

Half of them are for my "Traffic Jam" webcam cache. Luckily I don't have to worry about a filled log book or a misplaced container for that one!

I'm beginning to see why some people temporarily disable their caches and remove the containers during near-by Mega Events.

Glad I hunted the caches at the fairgrounds at 2am Friday, before they got hit the hardest!
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I completely expect the one ones on the poker run to need re-hidden.
The ones I re-hid today are around the Archbold Reservoir. They were only found 14 times each. One was hidden in a easier spot, and the other one was left exposed.
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

Not that I have logged caches yet (still working on that and tags), but I did try and re-conceal the caches I hit on my way back home on Sunday afternoon (39) including a couple Oldfields, WCT (segment from Tagan's Treasures to Stellen Sie nicht Kandis in der Cache, bitte! and the first segment west of Wauseon), as well as the Flintstone series. Many seemed to be not quite in their hiding position.

Also curious is to see how many people don't wait for their GPS to catch up to them on a bike path or slow down when approaching a cache. There are large trails going into an area 25-30 feet past the real path or the cache itself.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We had first-hand knowledge what an onslaught of Poker Runners did to our little Tiffin Tribute cache. Yikes!
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by TheBearclaws »

As of tonight my Artesian Aquifer was hit 302 times. I received about 301 different answers and the well almost ran dry. Lots of emails to keep up with and I'm glad for no maintenance needed. Fulton County may consider installing a traffic light.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

If the Artesians had seen this sort of thing coming in the future, they would've installed a pay window at the site.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

TeamMina wrote:We had first-hand knowledge what an onslaught of Poker Runners did to our little Tiffin Tribute cache. Yikes!
Nah, that was from Grizzflyer's front end loader that he had in there before the bash.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

My "Bucolic Railway" supposedly has a wet log now. This after installing a brand new lok-n-lok.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

My Mom and Dad had the same problems. I think my Dad is doing to be doing a lot of bike riding checking on all of theirs! There isn't much you can do with all that cacher traffic. He just hid the s8er cache in Wauseon and the skate-punks took it already.

I like what TMA did with his sensitive caches. Disabled, said it's still there, but you need to read the instructions for parking, etc, and re-enabled after bash. Good idea. Shouldn't be necessary, but it isn't.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

BlackBrownDog wrote:My Mom and Dad had the same problems. I think my Dad is doing to be doing a lot of bike riding checking on all of theirs! There isn't much you can do with all that cacher traffic. He just hid the s8er cache in Wauseon and the skate-punks took it already.
Man, that cache is only .2 from our house and we didn't have a chance to go get it yet. I hope they replace it.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

BlackBrownDog wrote:My Mom and Dad had the same problems. He just hid the sk8er cache in Wauseon and the skate-punks took it already
grandkidzz and i dnf'd that one early morn...now we know why...but we DID find that park.... :wink:
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
GeoFlint13
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by GeoFlint13 »

cheechgang wrote:My "Bucolic Railway" supposedly has a wet log now. This after installing a brand new lok-n-lok.

My step-daughter's cache (GC's first hide) was logged as having a wet log also. Pretty sure that it is just a victim of a copy-and-paster poster because no one else posted anything about a wet log.
Good Luck & Happy Hunting!
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I stopped at Barney #1 today, only to find the cache just laying about 5 feet from its intended location. It looks like someone took it to their car to sign, and just tossed it out the window towards where they found it.
I don't get it!
:evil: :evil: :evil: