geo shoes

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

mrreet
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

geo shoes

Post by mrreet »

So what does everyone wear to geocache?
I have found my skate / tennis shoes a bit lacking in grip when it comes to walking up (or down) dirt or mud inclines. However I find work boots too uncomfortable for large amounts of walking.
I guess I am looking for comfortable / cool (temperature) hiking boots.
What do you wear and why?
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: geo shoes

Post by yogi57 »

I like Merrell shoes.
Merrell
These are the ones I wear.
Waterproof
They're great in mud, loose dirt, trails, etc. but terrible on ice.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

I wear Columbia hiking shoes and they tend to grip on just about anything. I wouldn't go back to caching in tennis shoes for anything!
RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by RustyNail09 »

I personally love my northface hiking boots. They are gortex waterproof, and feature the boa lacing system, where there is no trying of laces, you just turn the knob on the back to tighten and pull the knob to take them off. I caught them @ the northface outlet for 70, but the msrp on their site is 155.
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

I have a pair of Hikers (which are boots) from Cabelas that are lightweight and waterproof. I'm on my 2nd pair. However, I will be looking at the shoes that Yogi mentioned, as several friends have mentioned that they are great shoes and boots too.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

My favorite are Wolverine gore-tex hikers. They are super comfortable, lightweight, warm and waterproof and provide excellent traction.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I have had Merrile's and they are a great boot. I currently wear Rocky's. There is great selection of boots at Pro Bass. Cabella's too, but PB is a lot closer. I have bad ankles, so I need a strong,heavier boot. Most people could wear lightweight hikers. You would need to decide if you want regular shoe height hikers, or the higher ankle height which give more support and keep out more water.
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

Even a cheap pair of waterproof hikers from walmart will do better on the trail than tennis shoes.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

Mr. TeamMina wears primarily Nevados. A high-top for the snow, and aqua/trail shoes for better weather.
I don't think Mrs. TeamMina has a preference, as long as the shoes fit comfortably.
Mina doesn't wear shoes, because her four feet are far better anything we can put on ours!
linzypooh49

Post by linzypooh49 »

I prefer wearing New Balance trail running shoes as I am usually trying to blend caching with runnning to "kill two birds with one stone". Regretfully, with running shoes(and all athletic shoes) they are always trying to "make them better" and therefore if I find a good shoe that works perfectly, it will more than likely be retired in a few months. So if you find a good shoe, buy a bunch of them because this may be the only chance you will get. Some of the trail running shoes are waterproof as long as you aren't up to your shins.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

linzypooh49 wrote:I prefer wearing New Balance trail running shoes as I am usually trying to blend caching with runnning to "kill two birds with one stone". Regretfully, with running shoes(and all athletic shoes) they are always trying to "make them better" and therefore if I find a good shoe that works perfectly, it will more than likely be retired in a few months. So if you find a good shoe, buy a bunch of them because this may be the only chance you will get. Some of the trail running shoes are waterproof as long as you aren't up to your shins.
You couldn't be more right!
If you find the right geo-shoe, get more than one pair!
Something out on the hunt can wreck them in an instant!
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

linzypooh49 wrote:I prefer wearing New Balance trail running shoes as I am usually trying to blend caching with runnning to "kill two birds with one stone".
I wish there were more caches that were on a good jogging route. I have only done a few when I have been out jogging and it has always been fun.
I am an amazed cacher!
linzypooh49

Post by linzypooh49 »

I take advantage of a few caches that are at the other end of a park or field. I will park far away and run from there. I may only get one or two caches this way but at least I have a goal for the run. I would love to get out on the bike trail and grab them as I go. That will be a spring time/ summer fun outing.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

While we're on that topic, LP, I recently discovered new motivation for biking! I can grab so many more caches on the WCT by biking, so my body doesn't realize I'm also getting a workout in! LOVE tricking my body! :) Plan to do a lot more biking this spring/summer/fall!
linzypooh49

Post by linzypooh49 »

I love getting the bike on the trails as well. Regretfully, I find that it can be a little scary leaving my bike to go in after the cache at a few places. The LOST series had me nervous that as I went deep into the woods, my bike would be vunerable even if I pulled it into hiding. Again a weakness in my solo caching.