Puzzle Cache General Questions

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Puzzle Cache General Questions

Post by armygreenx »

I would like to think I am a pretty intelligent guy however when i look at a lot of puzzle caches i wonder where to start. This unfortunately leads a lot of people to just dismiss puzzle caches altogether. But I am a completionist(even a word?). I would assume that a lot of practice goes a long way. With that being said, how did you all learn the ropes as far as figuring out puzzle caches? Did you just dive right in and count on hints or did you do some research on the different techniques beforehand and then try as many of them out until you (think) you have found the one that works?

I realize that a lot of it is using good logic however it seems a lot of background knowledge can make an impossible cache much more possible. I have also read that it is good practice to inform someone if special skills are involved for the solving of the puzzle however it seems that courtesy is not given on the more difficult rated caches (or any for that matter).

I was thinking today about just doing puzzle caches of a 1 star difficulty and working my way up. I would hope that through that process i would see many types of puzzles that tell you what method should be used and simply ask you to apply the method once you learn how to do it. Through that method i would then add another tool to my puzzle solving arsenal. Is that a good strategy in your opinion? What others strategies would you suggest?

And lastly I have been thinking about putting out my first cache. Possibly a puzzle cache, who knows? The devious person in me wants to make it extremely bizarre involving both programming and encryption all rolled up into one. Would many people solve it? Probably not, but at least the people around here who put out ridiculous puzzle caches would feel my retribution (just kidding...kinda)! But then i was thinking about it and maybe when I start understanding more about the techniques used perhaps i will start a puzzle cache tutorial series with scaling difficulty that will hold your hand early and progress to being more of the variety that we already see. I think something like that would be a great way to bring more people into the puzzle community. Or do masochistic puzzle cachers like the elitism? Thoughts? Suggestions? GTFO Jeff who wants people to solve our random splattering of pictures and letters!? Anything! :)

Take care,
Jeff

Oh and by the way any shots taken at difficult puzzles or the people that hide them is all in good fun.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Puzzle Cache General Questions

Post by cheechgang »

:D
Last edited by cheechgang on Sat 2010-08-28, 00:54:06, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

This gives me an idea for a puzzle cache. :wink:
roadkill103
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by roadkill103 »

When I started looking at puzzle caches, I was befuggled. Did the easy ones and over time learn a few tricks. Needed help on the internet for most, that's for sure. The hard ones I have to put them down for a while and come back to them. Once in awhile I totally give up and I'll ask for a hint, but it's more fun figuring out myself.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

You know this reminds us, that up around Lansing, they have puzzle-solving events. I think everyone goes with mystery caches they can't figure out, and get help over a cuppa Joe (Scouter). That might not be a bad idea to try sometime.

The best we can say is to try everything you can think of to solve them, then try the stuff you have never thought of. That usually works. :)

however, best advice we have is as long as the cache has been found a few times already, the cache owner is usually happy to lend a helpful (and possibly misleading) hand. The thing to remember is, no matter how tough the puzzle, all cache owners want their caches found.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

TeamMina wrote:You know this reminds us, that up around Lansing, they have puzzle-solving events. I think everyone goes with mystery caches they can't figure out, and get help over a cuppa Joe (Scouter). That might not be a bad idea to try sometime.
How Do I Solve All These &#$@! Puzzle Caches?

This cache has been on my watch list for quite some time for obvious reasons

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

T-Hunter69 wrote: How Do I Solve All These &#$@! Puzzle Caches?

This cache has been on my watch list for quite some time for obvious reasons
Very good info for the beginner on that cache page.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

Keep in mind there are two different types of caches that fall under the puzzle category. There are ones you solve in the field and those you can solve at home.

The best source for help on a puzzle cache is the cache owner. Most cache owners are glad to offer assistance on their own caches. I often get asked by other cachers for help on someone else’s puzzle and I am reluctant. It is just not my place without permission from the cache owner. On my own caches, I am more than willing to offer help. Actually I wish more people asked for help on my puzzles because that would mean that more people are trying my puzzles.

There is no right or wrong way to go about solving puzzles. I have a set of steps that I go through, but the next cacher may do a different set of steps. Plus, it all depends on the cache too. I guess I am saying there is no magic process.

Experience is the best way to improve your puzzle solving skills. I think you are on the right track starting with the lower star caches and work your way up. If you are interested in puzzle caches, I would recommend you look in the Adrian/Tecumseh area. There are a lot of great puzzles up there. I also have a bookmark list of my favorite puzzle caches within 50 miles of West Toledo.

As for your first puzzle hide, I would recommend getting as much experience as you can finding puzzles before you hide one. This way you know what works and what does not as well as what you like or do not like. That advice applies to a cacher’s first traditional hide too. Personally I could come up with a pain in the a** puzzle tomorrow. That is not hard. No one would figure it out, but where would the fun be in that? I prefer to have my caches found after all that is the point of this hobby. Making a great puzzle is an art form. A great puzzle makes your think, do some research, and really work for the solution, but in the end it has a basis in logic and there is a straightforward path to a solution. I am not going to claim to be good at making puzzle caches, but I do know what I like.

I hope you find this somewhat helpful because I am all for building interest in puzzle caches.
I am an amazed cacher!
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

jeff, there's an event next month w of ann arbor - a few of us may be going...

Perplexing Puzzles and Pastries Party Part Four
Monday, 27 September 2010
GC2CEXB
check it out...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
rnw422
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by rnw422 »

C'mon Jeff, If it ain't a TRADITIONAL skirt liftin' micro or a guardrail grab, it ain't worth findin'!!!!!!!! LMAO Like Roadkill said, don't be afraid to put those puzzles or the back burner. Sometimes, that's the best thing you can do. Come back later with a different perspective. Then if you can't figure it out, put it on the ignore list, forget about it, and go do 13 park-n-grabs!!!!!!!! It'll make ya feel a whole lot better. LMAO

Don't forget about buyin' me that meal at Schlotsky's. I haven't!!!!!!!! LOL