Use of Personal Cache Notes

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Use of Personal Cache Notes

Post by TheBearclaws »

I was thinking that a good use for the new feature on cache pages called Personal Cache Notes would be to put in solved puzzle coordinates or any other reminder to yourself that you want to leave. I tried it and the note didn't transfer with the gpx file pocket query. I went over to geocaching.com to see if I was the only one who had this thought and I found that adding it has indeed been proposed and is currently being voted on. Here's a link to the proposal, I gave it 3 votes and a comment. Maybe you think it would be a handy tool too?? Vote for it!

Include personal cache notes...
Stumpy75

Re: Use of Personal Cache Notes

Post by Stumpy75 »

I just voted for it, but I'm wondering what area of gc.com does the link take you to. I've never seen that area before, so how do you access it from the gc.com web site?

I DO think this is a good idea, as I have not really found a use for the notes yet.

Edit: Ok, I found how to get into the area from gc.com. Still think it's a good idea!
Bucknut63
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Bucknut63 »

I voted,I like this idea
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

BTY: While I was there, I saw a note about virtuals, and the thought about bringing them back. I voted for that too! Guess I should check on these forums more often!
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Stumpy75 wrote:BTY: While I was there, I saw a note about virtuals, and the thought about bringing them back. I voted for that too! Guess I should check on these forums more often!

I accidentally saw that today also, and voted for it. Never sat that before.

I've been using the new cache notes for a month or so now. Why is GC still discussing it?. All the new caches I just put out have notes to the location, container type etc. I used to keep a written log of the same info WBW (way back when)
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

It is a great idea however the current workaround is to use GSAK and modify the coordinates yourself. Then when you move the caches to your GPS it will already have the corrected coordinates for the puzzles that you have solved.
gsmom59
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by gsmom59 »

I do it the same way ArmyGreenX does it for puzzles.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

me too

GSAK is your friend
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

For the few puzzles I am able to solve I use GSAK also.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

I'm glad to know there's a way to use gsak for serious puzzle solvers but for the novice this subject is about using personal cache notes. If there's somewhere to vote for gsak I missed it.
Last edited by TheBearclaws on Tue 2010-11-09, 11:26:04, edited 1 time in total.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

TheBearclaws wrote:I'm really glad you all use gsak but this subject is about using personal cache notes. If there's somewhere to vote for gsak I missed it.

see 6 posts up. :roll:
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

TheBearclaws wrote:I'm glad to know there's a way to use gsak for serious puzzle solvers but for the novice this subject is about using personal cache notes. If there's somewhere to vote for gsak I missed it.
I guess I am not following exactly what it is you are asking me to vote for. You want the notes to go to a .gpx file. Then what do you do with the info in that gpx file? What is your actual goal here? Do you want the solved coordinates to end up in your GPS instead of the posted coords, or somewhere else?
Proud to be
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Please include the personal cache notes in the GPX-File/Pocket Query.

The easiest way would be to just add a note with the personal cache notes as log entry automatically when generating the file.

I copied the above from the proposal already submitted to Groundspeak (where the link I provided takes you).

My idea for application would be to have the personal cache notes whether they be solved puzzle or multi coordinates or anything else (like a combination to a lock) be included in pocket query files. What I do with pocket queries is load them into GSAK and from there the info, as I selected it, loads to my GPS unit and PDA. The personal notes would then be available on my PDA when caching.

My goal was twofold. 1 - to direct people to the part of geocaching.com where new ideas are proposed and voted on, I doubt many have been there or knew about it. 2 - Show what i think is a good use for the new cache notes feature and see if anyone else thought it was a good idea too, based on how they use the various software.

I like the workaround idea of using GSAK to store and then load solved coordinates but I don't know how to do it. Perhaps someone could explain in the How To.... section with a step by step list of instructions? It might be useful to many.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

I don't use a PDA. But...

On the GSAK display page right click on any cache.

One option is "corrected coordinates" and another is "add note". It seems these both may be doing what you ask for until it gets implemented by GC.com
Proud to be
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

And the benefit to adding corrected coords to GSAK is that both posted and corrected are saved in GSAK. You can select if you want posted or corrected coords in the created PQ. The default is to send the corrected coords.