What's in a name? (Geo-Name)

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

jimbobwe
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: What's in a name?

Post by jimbobwe »

JIMBOBWE (rhymes with Zimbabwe) is obviously something i made up. In reality i go by my first two initials J.R. which stand for James Ryan. In my work environment i go by Jim (it's less confusing to people I've found).

Occasionally I've been called J.R. Ewing, Jimmy, Jimbo, Jimbob, ETC. You get the idea.

In creating my G.C. name i wanted something that was original. Jimbob kinda stuck out in my mind, I added the WE as a way to distinguish myself and to create the country of JIMBOBWE. (in my own mind of course)
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

jimbobwe wrote:JIMBOBWE (rhymes with Zimbabwe)...
Been wondering if that was how you pronounced it!
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hydnckr »

No matter how it looks, my geocaching name is pronounced Hide-n-Seeker. (Hyd n Ckr) :roll:

The first day I visited geocaching.com I decided to register for an account and I was thinking over some names when it dawned on me that we were essentially playing a game of hide and seek here, so I opted for the alternate spelling. Since then I have been the guy at events that after I introduce myself and cachers see my nametag they all say "OHHH, I've seen that name before, but we all thought it was Hidnicker" ...or Hidenocker or some other variation that makes my wife snicker. :?

But I've had it 2 1/2 years now and most are aware of the pronunciation...some however still choose to deviate to a more humorous version on occasion. :P
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

*looks above*
*giggles*

;)
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

I think mines pretty obvious - first initial last name. I picked my avatar as a penguin I found on google image search in honor of Eric Sherwood.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
LuvWahoo
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by LuvWahoo »

My name is simple. I am a Cleveland Indians fan, and I love Chief Wahoo, hence LuvWahoo. That's kinda boring, huh?
KCBoom
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by KCBoom »

KCBoom is a combination of what I do in the Air Force Reserves. I am an In-flight Aerial Refueler AKA a "Boom Operator" I fly the refueling boom which protrudes from the rear of the plane hence the "Boom". In the AF the designation for tankers is KC which stands for Fuel/Cargo. Not sure where they got K for fuel. The current refuelers in the AF inventory are the KC-10(modified DC-10) and the KC-135 which I fly in now. So there is the KC portion. I consider it one of the best jobs an enlisted person can have in the AF. My avatar is pretty small but it is a picture of a tanker refueling fighters. I uploaded the larger version in my gallery. So that's where I get KCBoom.
LordElwood
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by LordElwood »

The Elwood part is my fraternity nickname given to me by my big brother when I was in college. He gave me the name after Elwood Blues of the Blues Brothers. I have always been a fan of the movie and the music, so it was fitting. The "Lord" part came about in college as well. Many of my friends really got into a game called "Diablo". Well, if you beat the game, you got the label Lord attached to your character. Since my character was named Elwood, he became Lord Elwood when I beat the game. I liked the name because it was unique and there was very little chance that it would be confused with anyone else.

My avatar is the family crest of the Elwood clan. Only seemed fitting.
[url=http://www.midwestgeobash.org:1vu78n0h][img:1vu78n0h]http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/32f11043-28f0-4da1-9587-0d41a7a799b2.jpg[/img:1vu78n0h][/url:1vu78n0h]
remark2000

Post by remark2000 »

Well, Remark comes from years ago when I was a mechanic for trap shooting clubs. Was working at the world championships, and since they already had a Mark working there, they dubbed me Remark to clear up confusion on the radio. The name has just kind of stuck. The 2000 was added as an email account name. The train icon I normally use is just one of my deep interests.
thebutterflyeffect
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by thebutterflyeffect »

wow! this is interesting!
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=349724:1xtoorhd][img:1xtoorhd]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Click+here+to+view+my+stats!&uid=bbc002cc-9360-461d-9dca-c7c169642159&bg=2[/img:1xtoorhd][/url:1xtoorhd]
Stumpy75
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by Stumpy75 »

I started out with n8wgb, which is my ham radio call sign. Couldn't think of anything else when I first signed up. However, since a lot of people were having problems with that, and I really had no preference, I started trying to come up with a different name. I used the icon of my 2 cats, since many others seemed to be using their pets. Mine don't do well on a leash though!

So, it was time for a change.

In the college I went to, people who were in Forest Resources(I graduated with a degree in Forestry) were referred to as Stumpies(because all we left behind were stumps? …not really sure of the origin of that :o :? ). Anyway, since Stumpy was already taken, I added the year I graduated to the end of it, and there you have it.. Stumpy75.

The icon I am now using is one I found on the web and it seemed to fit the name. Just consider it a stump with tree attached, making fast to a FTF(trying to beat the Moops and BB :mrgreen: ).
jsj444

Post by jsj444 »

Not very interesting but here goes, We originally wanted to be the Fab Four because I am a musician and I love the Beatles and there are 4 of us when we all go. However, that was taken so I just used my initals and my favorite number. I was going to change it but have been credited with having the dumbest geo name of all, so I got that goin' for me. Avatar is just silly, like me.
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by McCombRef »

I don't have much of a story behind my name, I live in McComb and I referee/officiate football and basketball. My e-mail and messengers use this name, so when I created my account it was the natural thing to do. I have played around with the name BlindZebra too.

My avatar is from Dick Honig's (Big ten football and basketball official) website for referee apparel. I will change it to a football official in the fall.
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

Moving this up a page, hoping for some more replies.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Just to let people know that they are not stuck with their current name at Geocaching.com or here at NWOGEO.org.

Geocaching.com has a build in function to change your name, which propagates the change throughout their system.

Here on NWOGEO.org, you only need to send an administrator a message to change your name.

There are a couple important points to consider for user names.

- It helps everyone concerned if you use the same name at all sites.

- Geocaching.com allows spaces in your name, whereas, NWOGEO.org does not. So if you want your name to be consistent, avoid using spaces. (This also holds true for many other forums and boards.)

- If your name of choice is consists of multiple words, consider changing it to remove the spaces, and use capital letters for each word.