Driving required multicache

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Waggy6
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Driving required multicache

Post by Waggy6 »

I was thinking of hiding a multicache where the next stage (or stages, haven't decided yet) is not within walking distance of the first one. I will specify this in the description, the idea is to get people to more than one fav spot. How popular is this idea? I think there are some like this but not many. I like multicaches but I dont like solving a multicache puzzle only to walk another 50 feet and there it is, I want more adventure. Does anyone have any suggestions?
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Driving required multicache

Post by SuchaNana »

this must be suggestions night... usual rule-of-thumb is no more than 2 driveable miles between cache stages...done of few of those myself, keeping it simple to only one special place and then on to the cache retrieval...most cachers would prefer to hike/bike and if they must -then drive... hope this helps...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
tolbuck

Post by tolbuck »

If you want people to find your multi then don't put the stages too far apart. If that isn't your goal then put them as far apart as you like.

My suggestion is if math is required at any one of the stages, and driving is involved, put a Geocheck link on your cache page.
Waggy6

Post by Waggy6 »

So its not againts the rules, just might not be popular. If I do my idea once again it will say in the description what is required to complete it so its not a surprise, but I might also rethink this idea. Going to go with a simple single cache for my first placement anyways.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

There is no guideline that limits distance between stages of a multicache.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

cheechgang wrote:There is no guideline that limits distance between stages of a multicache.
+1
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I heard once that there is, or used to be a multicache in Columbus that required travel to Buffalo NY. :(
Waggy6

Post by Waggy6 »

ok. nothing that bad. Mine would be within town. Acomplishable in a day, or multiple day with visits to other good caches in the areas around stages to mine.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:I heard once that there is, or used to be a multicache in Columbus that required travel to Buffalo NY. :(
I didn't find the one that went from Columbus to Buffalo, but I did find this one.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:
Handyman-N-Fam wrote:I heard once that there is, or used to be a multicache in Columbus that required travel to Buffalo NY. :(
I didn't find the one that went from Columbus to Buffalo, but I did find this one.

So this is a tag team cache and credit is given for the find even if you never see the final container? I'm not sure I get it...
Proud to be
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

One more way to get a state souvenir without even being there.

Would be a little better if it were possible to get a smilie for each physical stage of the cache that each geocacher actually found and signed.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Waggy6

Post by Waggy6 »

We have gotten onto a topic of a style of geocache that, while cool, is not hwat I would be intending. This is a plan for a future cache, i'm not going so abitious to start, a few traditional caches to start seems more appropriate. Anyways this would just visit a few places along the maumee but far enough apart to require driving, like bend view then along the way to side cut.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Waggy6 wrote:We have gotten onto a topic of a style of geocache that, while cool, is not hwat I would be intending. This is a plan for a future cache, i'm not going so abitious to start, a few traditional caches to start seems more appropriate. Anyways this would just visit a few places along the maumee but far enough apart to require driving, like bend view then along the way to side cut.
Also be advised that caches in BendView and Side Cut as well as all the Metroparks require permits.
Proud to be
Waggy6

Post by Waggy6 »

Yes I believe they require a permit and a lock n lock container. Anyways I'm going to start out with just one. Simple. easy to maintain and it will serve as a good test.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Waggy6 wrote:Yes I believe they require a permit and a lock n lock container. Anyways I'm going to start out with just one. Simple. easy to maintain and it will serve as a good test.
Great! I'll be looking forward to it. Good luck!
Proud to be